Mount Vernon, Maryland Points of Interest
Mount Vernon is a designated historic district and fashionable neighborhood located just north of downtown Baltimore. Architecturally, it’s a blend of renovated Queen Anne style buildings from the late 1800s, Beaux Arts buildings from the early 1900s and some newer construction, cobblestone streets and historic monuments. Mount Vernon has been referred to as “the most walkable neighborhood in Baltimore” by Walkscore - it is also bikeable and has excellent public transportation.
Here are some key points of interest in Mount Vernon:
- Walters Art Museum - Enjoy an extensive and varied art collection, including neoclassical sculptures, Faberge eggs, and Egyptian artifacts. Free admission.
- The Hotel Ivy - Peruse three centuries worth of architectural influence and, for a special occasion, splurge on a multi-course meal at Upstairs At The Ivy, 205 E. Biddle Street, Mount Vernon
- George Peabody Library - Built in 1878 and known as Baltimore’s “Cathedral of Books”, this is considered by many to be one of the most beautiful libraries in the world. Check the online schedule for public hours.
- Preston Gardens Park - This 1920s park along St. Paul Street was reopened in 2018 following a $6.5 million revitalization, and now features a fountain and occasional yoga glasses and bocce games.
- Baltimore Center Stage - Enjoy year-round theatrical productions.
- North Charles Street shopping district - Browse through antique shops, small specialty boutiques and larger retail stores.
- Restaurants - There are over 170 restaurants and coffee shops and bars within the neighborhood of Mount Vernon. Here are just a few:
- Sotto Sopra, 405 N. Charles Street, Mount Vernon (Italian cuisine)
- Poblano Mexican Grill, 201 W. Charles Street, Mount Vernon (Mexican cuisine)
- Marie Louise Bistro, 904 N Charles Street, Mount Vernon (French cuisine)
- Never On Sunday, 829 N. Charles Street (Greek cuisine)
- Mount Vernon Marketplace, 520 Park Street (eclectic food court with global-inspired cuisine)
- The Bun Shop, 239 W Read Street, Mount Vernon (various filled buns, such as empanadas)
- Dooby’s, 802 N. Charles Street, Mount Vernon (coffee and simple lunch fare)
- Ceremony Coffee Roasters, 520 Park Street (coffee and tea)